Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hello again.

This is my first post in a very, very long time. I can attribute that to the general at-home laziness that I have been feeling as a result of unrelenting outside-of-home business. No, wait, not "business," busy-ness. Not a word, but it's what I mean. I've been crazy busy.

Since leaving full-time employment in the theatre in mid-2008, I generally satisfy the performing urge on a fairly irregular basis; but I've been performing like mad over the last few months, which has been great, but also exhausting. Over the last few months, I've been doing a lot of singing, something which I love to do. I'm going to try to do it more often, I think.

I'm taking a break from theatre for a few months, which will hopefully result in working toward these goals in my personal life:
  • Cooking at home more often. I love cooking, but due to the general at-home laziness I mentioned above, I haven't done it enough lately. This week, however, my first one with significant time at home in months, I cooked. I cooked delicious fresh burgers made with beef from my co-worker's farm; I cooked a homemade stromboli with chicken sasage, ricotta cheese, peppers, portabellas and fresh basil; a fabulous birthday dinner for my husband's birthday (filet mignon, asparagus and smashed purple potatoes with giant chunks of garlic). I can't wait to get back into this.
  • Reading more books. Reading is one of the true joys of my life, but due to the laziness, I haven't really read anything lately. My nightstand is covered with books, waiting for my brain to be ready to absorb them. I think my brain is ready now.
  • Canning! My mother-in-law has taught me the joys of canning this past fall, and I can't wait for a summer's worth of canning. My good friend and co-worker Michele is the canning queen and she'll be showing me her secrets in the coming months. This past fall I canned jam and applesauce, but I'm looking forward to moving onto more savory treats, like tomato sauce and sauerkraut.
  • Writing. I write a newspaper column every week, which is a blessing. I manage to use my writing degree every day in my full-time job and in my column, but as a result, I don't EVER use it for fun. I used to write constantly, incessantly. Now, I don't. I'm going to set modest personal writing goals for myself, so you may see some ramblings on here in the coming months.
Well, thanks for listening. Off to tackle Mt. Laundry.

3 comments:

  1. Good goals, darlin'... and the food continues to astonish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting on my blog because it made me miss you and remember YOUR blog. I'm horrible at blogging lately. Ah, such is life. Love your goals (and love the list of food you made...must duplicate...it's been far too long since I've had a hearty hunk of red meat on my plate).
    Just love you tons.
    That is all.

    ReplyDelete